Building Systems Research and Development
Our company Ironwood Brand has produced some of the most innovative and high performing residential building systems that the region has seen(for an example and details, read about our project for Alex Wilson, founder of Building Green and the Resilient Design Institute in his articles on Green Building Advisor). In 2015 our research and development is going to take a big step forward with a new facility. The Advanced Practice, Testing, and Integration Shop, or "APTI-Shop" for short, is the first private sector winner of funding from Vermont's economic development fund established upon the closure of Entergy VY, which identified us as a top prospect to replace nuclear plant jobs with new manufacturing careers in high performance prefab and value added timber and engineering. We are grateful for the facility construction loan and working hard to round out the team of engineers, researchers, product testers, and partner companies needed for us to succeed at this ambitious project.
Why is an Advanced Practice, Testing, and Integration Shop needed?
- The green building industry is full of great products, but not enough systems.
- Most great companies understand their products well but need help working well with others.
- There are some categories of new products that aren't even understood well enough to be covered by code yet.
- Other markets have proven technologies built to high standards that deserve some field trials in our conditions.
- We love R&D so much that even a simple rural building and training facility is going to become a seedbed of new lines manufacturing for us, our company partners, and the mix of local talent and materials here in southern Vermont.
Some examples of our Research and Development work